[Talk-ca] CanVec Building Import

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 02:44:27 GMT 2009

Hi All,

The changes will be available for viewing on canvec2osm0_05.zip :-)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Michel Gilbert <michcasa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> 1) I propose some modifications at the CanVec OSM Map Features for
> buildings:
>
> -          CanVec Customs Post --> remove security=yes --> security is not
> an OSM tag

Done, updated the rules.txt file :-)
... but, security could become one (it can always be proposed) :) ... but
for now i agree, and will continue to make the rules.txt file identical to
the chart.
BTW, security is implied with "customs", anyway.

> -          CanVec  Municipal hall (point) --> replace
> building=municipal_hall for building=yes -->  we already have
> amenity=townhall

fixed.:)

> -          CanVec  Municipal hall (point) --> remove building:use=office

fixed. :)

-          CanVec Police station (point) --> remove
> building:use=police_station --> we already have amenity=police

fixed :)

> -          CanVec Railway Station (point) --> remove
> building:use=train_station --> we already have railway=station

fixed, and i added operator=*, i tend to want todo this for features where
across canada it becomes significant. .. so then a VIA rail map can be
produced, or a 'GO Transit' map can be produced. (for example).   Where the
name would be 'Oakville GO Station', and operator would be 'GO Transit'.

> -          CanVec Penal Building (point) --> remove building:use=prison
> --> we already have amenity=prison

fixed :)
and so, for ALL the buildings that are area's ill cross check to see that
there all building=yes

> If you agree, I can make the changes in the wiki.
>
> 2) What are the CanVec Common tags. I propose the following ones. You can
> add yours unless there are somewhere in the wiki.
>
> -          k="created_by" v="FME-CanvecBuildings2OSM" where v is the name
> of the script used to create the import

I don't know about splitting up all of the 11 themes... i made that chart
with the status in error.  It's MUCH easier to coordinate with the Feature
ID CODE (the 7 digit code), so then all 300 features are listed in order,
then i just scroll through to fix it.  The 11 themes are scattered all
throughout the numbering sequence.

Because FME has the ability to do the 'AutoMatch', and my script doesnt. ...
i just created an individual OSM files for each of 7 digit codes contained
in the files (ending in 09.shx)

I could change it to .. k="created_by" v="shp-to-osm_canvec2osm" .. as that
might be more clear to users???. .. 'cause my script is just running
shp-to-osm over again 98 times.

> -          k="canvec:uuid" v="baff4218d4ff45d18c0643e63906aab9" where v is
> the BDG_ID CanVec attribute

Changed it to.  k"=canvec:uuid" v="baff4218d4ff45d18c0643e63906aab9"  ...
actually, v is simply "ID" in all the .shp files.
... it's only for the road names that it gets confusing
:0), fortunately i don't need to contend with that. ... your script does all
that fancy work.

NOTE for everyone:
A "SHP" file actually consists of 4 files,  *.shp *.prj *.dbf and *.shx

... it took me a little while to figure out that one :-)  lol

> -          k="canvec:source" v="Buildings_and_Structures_3.0" where v is
> the Canvec theme + CanVec version

According to the CanVec catalogue, its
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/doc/CanVec_feature_catalogue_v1_0_2_en.pdf
So i changed it to.

k="canvec:source" v="CanVec_feature_catalogue_v1_0_2_en.pdf"

or maybe
k="canvec:source" v="CanVec Feature Catalogue Edition 1.0.2" ???

... 'cause when version 1.0.3 comes out, (later in the spring) ID will be
(most likely) more ID's made available, and additions/removal/change looking
at the NID's

(I CC'd NRCan just to be sure)

> -          k="canvec:datasetName" v="022A09" where v is the DATASET_NAME
> CanVec attribute

for that your talking about the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CanVec:_Administrative_boundaries_(LI)
46- NTS50K boundary polygon - (Polygone de découpage SNRC50K)
which comes from shp file ***********LI_1210009_2

so i changed it to k="canvec:datasetName" v="022A09" ... but to take it to
the next level, and adding in what it actually is called "Claycot Sound",
it's possible for me to add this as a tag.  (As i already have the list of
names).  Do you want this?

if so, we can change it to..
 k="canvec:datasetID" v="022A09"
 k="canvec:datasetName" v="Claycot Sound"

> 3) Do you known if point feature tagged as building=yes are rendered in
> Mapnik. It does not seem to be displayed ???

Right, 'point' features, should NOT contain the tag 'building=yes' .. only
polygons should have this tag.  amenity=prison, when listed as a point, by
it's self... the icon will show up.

Extra notes:
1 -feel free to post comments on the talk page of the wiki, i could copy
this message to it, if that would make sense?
2 -I apologize, if i sounded a little aprehensive (the other day) about when
i saw the buildings already imported. (actually, just about jumped out of my
skin) :-)  ... lol ... (i know it's exiting) :)
3 -im starting to frown about adding the tag
k="user" v="canvec:Acrosscanadatrails"
mostly because when imported, who ever is actually importing these OSM
files, it will get traced back to the user anyway.
Should this be removed?
4 -im happy i don't have "canvec2009", because it's rather redundant if we
tell the user what CanVec feature catalogue it came out of.  the date at
which is was physically imported is already recorded in the history... and
the tag "VALDATE" tells the user how ancient the feature is.