[Talk-ca] road names

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 02:08:00 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

> Are not parts of Ontario and New Brunswick predominantly francophone?  S
> I'd say Quebec plus some other areas French, and the rest English.
> Should all of Nunavut be Inuktitut by default?  I have seen local roads
> on First Nations with street signs in Mohawk, I think.

There are areas of Manitoba and Alberta that are heavily francophone as well...

> Trans Canada Highway sounds to me like an ideal nat_name, and we can
> name space it.  So wouldn't our Yellowhead example work as:
>
> nat_name=Trans-Canada Highway
> nat_name:fr=la Transcanadienne
> nat_name:en=Trans-Canada Highway
>

> Where Yellowhead Highway sounds like a regional name
>
> reg_name=Yellowhead Highway
> reg_name:fr=
> reg_name:en=Yellowhead Highway
>

> While the section through Edmonton is a local name.
>
> loc_name=Yellowhead Trail
> loc_name:fr=
> loc_name:en=Yellowhead Trail

So, with that convention, what would be rendered for a road name in
the City of Edmonton? If I told someone to "Drive north on 97th
street, and turn west on the Trans-Canada highway.", they would look
at me like I'm crazy. They would understand what I meant if I called
it the Yellowhead Highway, but would be expecting me to call it
Yellowhead Trail. I could get away with calling it Highway 16 anywhere
along it's length.

In this area, the local name takes priority, with the reference number
a close second. Regional and National level names taking some work to
get people to recognize.

We're going to have to do the best that we can, and work with that...
According to the tagging guidelines, we should tag what the signs say,
so even if the GeoBase NRN has highway 16 labeled as Trans-Canada
within the City of Edmonton, it should be changed to reflect the
signage. Either the City changes the signs, or GeoBase changes their
names...

Right now we have this type of contention, one user might want to tag
the length of Highway 16 as Trans-Canada Yellowhead Route, and I want
to tag it as Yellowhead Trail in Edmonton. Indeed we need to make sure
that a script doesn't create this type of war.

James
VE6SRV