[Talk-ca] GeoBase import

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 20 03:26:23 GMT 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Blake Crosby wrote:

> Sam,
>
> I'm following the directions here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geobase_NRN_-_OSM_Map_Feature
>
> Since the area is so small, I will probably skip step 5. Instead, loading the
> resulting OSM in JOSM, adding the street names, then uploading that way.

If you willing to add the road names then I can't think of reasons why you
can't proceed with importing communities in Ontario.  We probably need a
discussion before bulk importing of unamed roads.

If you post the errors your getting with roadmatcher and I can tell you if
they are  familiar.  I loaded both the NRN and OSM (with osm2pgsql) into
PostGIS then used ogr2ogr to create .shp files for the area I'm interested
in with most of the attributes stripped out.  One thing
to keep in mind is that sometimes OSM road names are longer than 80
characters which causes problems in load shapefiles, I truncate them during
my extraction process.

Also, the version of geobase2osm.py in svn doesn't have the changes to
exclude standalone roads.  I've sent it to Jason to commit, I'll send you a
copy off-list as well.  It handles the tagging of the ways.