[Talk-ca] GeoBase import woes...

Steve Singer ssinger_pg at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 27 03:52:31 GMT 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, James Ewen wrote:

> Nope... I can't get that to work in any useful way. I have been doing
> manual roadmatching. I have been deleting everything from the full 074
> file using JOSM except for the roadways that I am interested in
> fixing. (It's along tedious task) I then upload the roadway into OSM,

Would the ability to merge only selected items from one layer to the next
make this substantially easier? If so it might be worth seeing if we can get
this added to JOSM. I think the feature is described by this
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/587 ticket. I'm not sure whats involved
in getting it implemented.

> It's difficult to find and import all the little short ways that get
> missed by the roadmatcher which are not duplicated in the OSM data,
> and import them one at a time.

There is a trade-off between missing more wasy, and duplicating more ways
that have errors. Are we better going with more agressive settings in
detecting standalones and then deleting them after? I dunno.

> In areas where there is very little existing data, such as where I've
> tracked a highway for hundreds of miles, it would be easier to simply
> upload the full GeoBase data, and delete the GPX tracked way. I can
> reload and create the GPX track much faster than trying to import the
> missed GeoBase data. I guess I could also downlaod the data in JOSM,
> and save it for later upload. In areas where the GeoBase data is poor,
> it's a pretty quick fix to copy tags to the OSM way. Manually
> extracting missed GeoBase data is tougher.

This can be done from a technical perspective,  we'd just have to decide
which areas we want to do this for.

> The long stretches of highway that I have been able to add into the

> With so many little sections to deal with, I can almost drive the
> roadway as fast as I can edit it... Potlatch needs a bulk replace
> command. I need to be able to select multiple ways, and then do a bulk
> tag edit.

JOSM has a form of this.