[Talk-ca] [OSM Sherbrooke discussion] Re: Geobase / Canvec import workshop in Sherbrooke?

Daniel Bégin jfd553 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 18:32:03 GMT 2009

I’m in!

  _____

From: Michel Gilbert [mailto:michcasa at gmail.com]
Sent: November 7, 2009 19:49
To: osm-sherbrooke-discussion at lists.coactivate.org; Talk-CA OpenStreetMap
Cc: Yves Moisan; jfd553 at hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [OSM Sherbrooke discussion] Re: Geobase / Canvec import
workshop in Sherbrooke?

Hi Frank, Yves and all,

I like the idea to have a mapping party in Sherbrooke that may attract
people of other regions. The mapping party, considering we are in November,
could concentrate on importing CanVec data for OSM. So, a Mapping Party with
no field work, only desktop work in front of a fireplace.  We would need a
place in Sherbrooke with good wireless connections, good coffees and a room
where we can talk and help each other. I think that "La Brulerie" on
Wellington meets all the requirements.

In order to make the event possible we will need experts that could explain
importing tools (python, java, fme) and editing tools (josm, potlatch).  Any
volunteers ? Also, we need available data to import. My preference would be
to have data that include all the CanVec feature classes. At my knowledge, I
don't think such data can be generated rigth now. There are tools in
development to generate such data but are not ready for importation. We
(Daniel and I) do plan to work on a FME CanVec Import tool this winter but
the tool won't be available in short terms.

If we have Canvec OSM file ready to import, I will participate to organize
the "Sherbrooke Couch Mapping Party". Here are some ideas for the agenda:
   - Explain translation between CanVec features and OSM tags
   - Training on Importing tools
   - Explain OSM xml file
   - Training on JOSM
   - Importing session. Each participant take a region and import data.

Let me know if anyone would like to participate at such event. We will keep
on discussing to put in place the missing pieces.

Cheers,

Michel