[Talk-ca] Hiding an object

Adam Dunn dunnadam at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 23:21:17 BST 2010

Tell me about it. I use a Magellan GPS, and we don't have any vector maps
(not even a basic vector of streets). Non-searchable raster background only
for us.

I'm not too familiar with addressing in OSM (waiting for BC to get addresses
from government before I work on it), but do the streets really need names?
The address nodes should automatically associate with the nearest highway if
no street name is given. You can also use relations to associate nodes to
streets [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema#Using_relations_to_associate_house_and_street_.28optional.29
]
Unfortunately, this wouldn't solve your Garmin issues though.

As for getting rid of icons, the simple osmarender tags don't support that [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmarender/Tags], but you could use a
label relation with no label node [
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Label]. Again, this
goes counter to how OSM tagging is supposed to be done.

Adam