[Talk-ca] [OpenStreetMap] #3188: Coastal intermittent water representation - Canvec

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Aug 26 19:31:04 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Bégin, Daniel
<Daniel.Begin at rncan-nrcan.gc.ca> wrote:
> Well, what can I say?
>
> the Canadian community agreed on using water_cover proposal almost a year ago and the entire canadian contry is now available in .osm format using this proposal...

That the Canvec product has uniform use for coastal intermittent water
is fantastic.  Even if the tags are revised and changed in future to
match a global agreement on tagging, we're much further ahead starting
from a uniform base.

We could make a couple of rendering decisions for coastal intermittent
water and show it on my server.  Perhaps the "Canadian style" will be
so good that others will choose to implement it as well.  It would be
nice to have a good implementation for the Bay of Fundy, wouldn't it?

Any ideas for rendering style?  Or even some suggestions for the scope
of intermittent coastal water rendering?  Do we differentiate between
sand, grass, rock?