[Talk-ca] Streets with frontage roads...

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 22:03:45 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010  3:18 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:

> GeoBase has one access road on one side of the road labelled as
> Grandin Road, but on the other side of the road, it has no name. All
> three roads are tagged as residential. I'm thinking that a routing
> algorithm would not know any better, and might send someone down the
> side road, rather than down the main throughway.
>
> What is the common ground on tagging these things? I would guess that
> all these roads would get named Grandin Road, as the houses are all
> addressed as Grandin Road. I was thinking that the 4 lane section get
> bumped to tertiary as it is a collector road, and as such would be
> more important than just a plain residential road. The side roads
> could then stay as residential, or perhaps they would be better tagged
> at a lower level?

Tertiary for the main part of the roads seems reasonable to me.

Proper terminology for the side roads appears to be "frontage road" (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontage_road).  It should be tagged according
to whatever the function of the frontage road is, which in this case is
residential.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dservice

-Katie

> James