[Talk-ca] WMS Layer for canvec data / toporama

Kevin Michael Smith smithkm at draconic.ca
Tue Mar 9 23:09:34 GMT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-09 at 13:30 -0800, Sam Vekemans wrote:

> According to the website, it should be possable to get a WMS layer
> service which shows ALL of the map features that are available in
> canvec.

> So is this actually possable to get?  I dont know what the exact URL
> that i need to enter into JOSM to get it, if anyone knows, it would be
> great to add it to the main Canada wiki page.

I clicked reply rather than reply to all the first time so sorry about
the repetition Sam.

--

If you look at the GetCapabilities response it lists all the available
layers:

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?VERSION=1.1.1&request=GetCapabilities&service=wms

It's down near the end.  Just add all of them to the LAYERS paramater of
your GetMap request in the order you want them.  Here the result (I just
used the order in the GetCapabilities response which seems to work well
enough

http://wms.ess-ws.nrcan.gc.ca/wms/toporama_en?LAYERS=limits,vegetation,builtup_areas,designated_areas,hydrography,hypsography,water_saturated_soils,landforms,constructions,water_features,road_network,railway,populated_places,structures,power_network,feature_names&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetMap&STYLES=&EXCEPTIONS=application/vnd.ogc.se_inimage&FORMAT=image/png&

It's a bit cluttered though.

Thanks for pointing this service out, It could be handy as an alternate
base layer for the web application I'm working on.

--
Kevin Michael Smith <smithkm at draconic.ca>