[Talk-ca] Proposed features water cover / tidal / intermittent

Sam Vekemans acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 03:45:40 GMT 2010

Your right, my mistake.
There is no need to add 'natural=water' to the 'waterway=riverbank' tag.

And that sounds right, the land that is partly covered has and
'surface=undefined', so natural=marsh would not fit, nor
wetland=marsh. (local folks would know)

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Driverbank
"I like to mark riverbanks on its high-water extent, including
sandbanks. Therefore non-permanent islands (sandbanks) are also
included, only permanent islands are marked. "

It seems that is just a matter of opinion (like everything else), .
... since we have the data, and it would help river canoeists to know
where these are. .. i think it should be added. ... (if i was canoeing
down that river (with a remote control - gps guided canoe) .... would
be nice not to get stuck in sand... ... except my eyes shouldn't be on
the device while paddling... but that is not the point :-)  ... a
nicer looking map is..

..... perhaps since we know that it is "undefined" .. why not tag it
as "fixme=surface is undefined" ...?
But i do think that 2 separate proposal pages need to be made  for
'water=intermittent' and 'water=tidal',  & splitting the examples
would help, as we can explain the reasoning for each on 2 pages.

So it becomes 2 sub-values for waterway=riverbank

... thats all i got for now. .. this is a tuff one.. :)

... hopefully someone can help with this/these proposal page(s)

Sam