[Talk-ca] NHS=* in Canada and network types

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Sep 17 02:11:19 BST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:
> 2.       Network tagging on relations
>
> Relations have been a mix of ca_bc_primary and CA:BC. Rweait believes
> ca_bc_primary came from ca_on_primary but I’m not sure where that was from.
> It doesn’t really matter which is used, but it should be consistent. Does
> anyone know where ca_on_primary came from?

That came from the discussions on the network tag a few years back.
Initially we talked about ":" between levels, but "_" is a better
divider in this case; underscore doesn't need to be escaped when
processed by other tools.  The network tag is used to describe the
highway (or other) network of the tagged object.  In the case of
ca_on_primary we are specifying Canada_Ontario_Primary highway. In
Ontario, primary highways, or King's Highways are those numbered 2
through 148 and 400-series highways.