[Talk-ca] Forests/Land Use, was: Canvec reverts

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Sep 1 15:17:26 UTC 2016

I'm "glad" to see someone else w/ this issue. It's glancingly related to
the canvec import issue, since the land use polygons are a source of some
of the issues the reverter is complaining about (malformed multipolygons /
boundary overlaps).

In my own work in my old home town of Prince George, I've constantly wanted
to just plain delete the "urban area" land use polygon (which doesn't seem
to correspond in any way to the actual urban area of the present) and the
forest polygons (which have the same problem).

Unlike buildings and roads and water, land use is pretty sloppy: where does
the "urban area" end? Is this a "forest" or just a bunch of trees? Since
anyone making a real multi-scale map will fine some other source of
land-use (like classified landsat) and since people trying to map at
high-res are finding the forests add little value and much impedance, why
don't we ... burn down all the forests (and the urban areas too)?