[Talk-ca] Forests/Land Use, was: Canvec reverts

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 21:24:35 UTC 2016

Hi Frederik,

I prefer to discuss with the community and find solutions. And we have to understand what is the reality of certain countries, try to help the contributors and avoid ultimatums, more or less intimidation ("I dont bother what you did, I will press the button and erase everything"). We should not encourage such inflammatory behaviors.
I would like that contributors from other countries do not come as  preachers of orthodoxy with no flexibility but come with a constructive spirit and propose ways to respond to the challenge of mapping such huge areas while improving the quality of the data.

See a comparison map of Germany with north of Quebec http://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTUyMzYyMTg.MTM3MDg4NTc*MTQwOTk4NTg(ODE3MTYzNg~!DE*NTE2Nzg1Ng.MTMwNDIzOTY)MA
Germany is about half the size of north of Quebec where 35 000 people live in isolated habitats. Germany is probably 10 to 20 times smaller then northern areas of Canada. I dont know the official population size but probably in the range 250,000 - 500,000 people.
The map, the tools, the procedures to enhance the map should not be only thought for dense urbanised areas in Europe or southern parts of Canada, USA, etc.
I would say that you propose a Police intimidating contributors with  "If we are not satisfied of the quality of your work - and we dont want to listen to the canadian community - we will press the button and destruct everything."
Please, we should keep Star Wars games spirit outside of OSM and work with more harmony and respect.

If people have finished developping the map in their country, and look for challenges, they should do it with a positive behavior that respect OSM volonteers. If we can develop tools to spy canadian contributors changesets and diligently revert / destroy their efforts, we should surely be able to produce more productive tools to help this community and other similar communities to enhance the map.
Personnaly, I think that we have to be careful if we want to develop communities and build a better map to avoid inflammatory language and destructive actions. Community engagement this requires to respect volunteers, to give them the feeling that they are part of a community, that we are listening to them, that we are ready to support them.

regard
Pierre