[Talk-ca] Crowdsourcing buildings with Statistics Canada

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jan 25 01:38:04 UTC 2017

On 1/21/2017 3:11 PM, Paul Norman wrote:
> On 1/20/2017 5:33 PM, john whelan wrote:
>> Did you include permission for the bus stops as well? They are from
>> the same source and the same licence.  I think I might have included
>> one pitch sport soccer.  The pitch was mapped but the sport soccer
>> was I must confess taken from their open data source.
>
> I kept it generic, not specifying a particular dataset. That way we'll
> have a final answer one way or the other and won't have to go back to
> them all the time.

The initial answer was that the license would impose obligations on top
of the ODbL, our distribution license. This would make the data
incompatible.

I have gotten back to them with some additional questions which might
offer a way forwards and clarify the problems. If I can't get anywhere
we'll have to decide what to do, but it will probably mean we can write
off the City of Ottawa as a potential data source.