[Talk-ca] Mapping of bilingual destination signs

J.P. Kirby webmaster at the506.com
Tue Oct 3 04:16:51 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-03, at 12:33 AM, Matthew Darwin <matthew at mdarwin.ca> wrote:

> Hi J.P.
>
> This sounds reasonable.  Do we have a map that shows which areas of the province are French area vs English area.  For us non-NBers.   Or I suppose one could guess by looking at the existing tags there.  (I would assume Fredericton is English area?)  If we have a list then could update the NB wiki page. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Brunswick

The general rule is that southern and western NB is English, northern and eastern is French; but there are exceptions, and a couple places like Bathurst and Campbellton are 50/50.

But yes, you can almost always tell from the tags and the street names themselves (e.g. "St. Mary's" vs "Sainte-Marie").

JPK