[Talk-ca] Cleanup of addr:country, addr:province, addr:state

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Mon Feb 19 17:27:07 UTC 2018

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 7:44 AM, Matthew Darwin <matthew at mdarwin.ca> wrote:

> Hi Clifford,
>
> (It was good to meet you at SOTM US last year).
>
> Thanks for your comments... The situation with addr:city appears to me to
> be more complex than the situation with addr:province/addr:country, along
> the lines of what you are mentioning. My personal home mailing address
> cannot be resolved in OSM because the mailing address does not match any of
> the boundaries.  (OSM boundaries are correct, but the official post address
> cannot be resolved from the boundaries). So I have a feeling that addr:city
> is going to be required, at least in some cases.
>
> Do you have a view on addr:province/addr:state or addr:country?  US/Canada
> probably have more similarities than differences, so your input is very
> welcome.

I never include addr:province/state or addr:country when adding an address.
If I see one I leave it there since it isn't harming anything. I did just
go look at the last business [1] I added in Burnaby, BC. Looks like I
didn't add a province but did add the city.  I just checked in iD - it
knows that I'm editing in Canada so it has a province field. Very good iD!

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4933408221
--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us