[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

Matthew Darwin matthew at mdarwin.ca
Tue Feb 20 00:08:38 UTC 2018

I have summarized the discussion we had here over the last week or so
on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Canadian_tagging_guidelines for
easy reference in the future.  It is:

        Municipality Names

Municipality names are to be spelt according to how they are listed in
NRCan (http://www4.rncan.gc.ca/search-place-names/search) or other
official source. That means:

  *

    Do not include "City of", "Municipality of" or similar in the name
    unless that is officially part of the name.   "Village of Queen
    Charlotte" (BC) is correct, "City of Toronto" is incorrect (should
    be "Toronto").

  *

    Do not expand "St." to "Saint" or "Ste" to "Sainte" just to
    conform to OSM's "don't abbreviate names" rule. If the city name
    is normally has it expanded, then it is maintained as expanded in
    OSM. If it is not normally expanded, then it is not expanded in
    OSM. "Saint John" (NB) and "St. John's" (NL) are both correct.

Feel free to clarify further on the wiki or continue the discussion
here...

Matthew Darwin
matthew at mdarwin.ca
http://www.mdarwin.ca