[Talk-ca] Formatting of Municipality Names

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 02:56:08 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-19 06:44 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea wrote:

> OSM learns by example, by documenting how we should tag
> (prescriptive) and how we do tag (descriptive) …
I think it's the other way around: we map first, see which ideas
coalesce, then document what we've seen has worked. If OSM ever had a
strict spec, guys in pubs* would still be squabbling over it and no-one
would have mapped a thing.

OSM's more like the OED than /les immortels/: trying to make sense of
millions of bits of paper and including anything with two or more
citations, rather than declaring that this is the official word for
that, usage be damned.

 Stewart

*: aka every flippin' page of the Steve Coast OSM book