[Talk-ca] BC2020 OD_tables wiki and project status

OSM Volunteer stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Jan 28 19:14:49 UTC 2018

Then, On Jan 28, 2018, at 10:57 AM, James <james2432 at gmail.com> wrote:
> license is federal, cities must modify it to apply to municipal, thus creating new license

SO, please ladies and gentleman, "figure out" what your licensing status is, and document it.  First in https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Contributors#Canadian_Municipalities where it is now said these entries are incorrect (except for Ottawa).  Second in https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020/building_OD_tables, which now refers back to that page in all the "green" cells.

This is what OSM (partly) is:  documenting in a wiki (for all to see and share in the knowledge of) the status of licensing, a link to an Import Plan, helpful steps to take when you get stuck and don't know what to do, a place to propose streamlined or improved methodology, a way to capture the status of a project (whether with or without Task Manager links) perhaps using red/yellow/green color-coded cells, or cells that have "80% done" in them, as appropriate, et cetera.

The "scope of the work involved in updating the BC2020 OD tables" is not hard, it is this:

1)  View OD_tables wiki (the second link above)
2)  Click the Log In link (upper right) and enter your OSM wiki credentials (different than your OSM credentials)
3)  Click the Edit Source link (ditto), I don't recommend the usually-more-friendly-user-interface Edit link, as you are editing TABLES here, and (in my opinion) our wiki's raw (lightweight, relatively easy) markup language is the only sane choice here to edit table data entries
4)  Edit the table data for each cell which is now green (yes), but which should be red (no) or perhaps something in the middle, yellow (partial).  There are 11 colored cells now, 7 are green, 4 are yellow.  It seems 1 should be green (Ottawa) and therefore left alone, but the other ten should be changed to red or yellow.  So, GO!

OTHERS reading this list (not me!) must properly decide what these colors/statuses are, as I'm merely some guy in the USA who wants to see the project go forward, but the licenses, and importantly, their statuses as communicated to the rest of OSM via the Contributors page and the WikiProject BC2020 OD tables page are now confused/outdated/wrong and so these must be updated so they are correct for 2018, now and going forward.

> I offer to "change from green to red" wiki table status for all cities (except Ottawa), although I'd also like to see Contributors be updated (with only Ottawa) as I suggest.  Teamwork, anybody?  Simply to keep our project-wide communication current?  It's neither difficult nor time-consuming and shares present status with "the rest of us."

And my offer still stands, I just have no clue what is going on with these licenses.  Does anybody here?  Please, let's not kick this into "well, it's sorta lost in the LWG..." unless that is REALLY true.  It seems this is a Canadian initiative to move forward with these and I'm left with little to do from here to push it forward any differently than I have been.

Thank you,
SteveA
California