[Talk-ca] Building Import update

Yaro Shkvorets shkvorets at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:23:55 UTC 2019

As far as I know Texas has been using 2 sources for their buildings
imports.

   1. Microsoft, (example:
   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/32.74517/-97.14334) Even in
   suburbs (that are supposed to be easy for their AI), buildings lack any
   details and sometimes are not even aligned with the roads.
   https://i.imgur.com/eWroYZB.png Some that are in the shades are even
   missing: https://i.imgur.com/8SF3sS4.jpg I can only imagine what it
   looks like downtown. Sure they don't get flagged with "almost square
   angles" but that's pretty much the only thing they have going for them.
   2. OrthoTexas. Much better details but the first place I look, vast
   majority buildings do not have square angles:
   https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/32.97102/-96.78231 Probably even
   worse than in Ontario.

Compared to both of those sources, StatsCan data is much more detailed and
is better aligned with the imagery and surroundings.
If we are so determined to map for the Validator (which I'm not sure is the
right OSM approach) we should fix StatsCan data. I remember there was a
standard JOSM warning for "almost square angles" with autofix a year ago or
so. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Best Regards,
          Yaro Shkvorets