[Talk-de] [OSM-talk] to all potlatch and JOSM users - automatic simplification of geometry

Nop ekkehart at gmx.de
Mo Aug 10 08:51:04 UTC 2009

Hi!

Andre Hinrichs schrieb:
> Problem for the JOSM plugin is that this option is not automatically
> added to the preferences and hidden in the description in the WIKI and
> you have to actively search for this option.

+1

As long as you don't have any idea that such an option exists you don't
start looking for it.

> So I would think, that if the default value of the plugin is set to 1
> and the option is automatically added to the preferences, than the
> situation would be much less bad and it would become a useful tool.

I disagree. Actually, when I download a plugin, I assume that the
default operation of the plugin is already set to reasonable values and
there should be no need to change anything before using it.

If you set it to 1 it will simply appear broken.

The main problem is simply that the tool looks harmless, but isn't, and
is easily applied wrongly due to an overly aggressive default setting.

Why don't we simply add a dialog when you apply the tool, showing the
current setting, allowing to change it and giving some reasonable upper
and lower bounds for the value.

To prevent accidential damage, there could be a warning when you are
using it in a dangerous or most likely harmful way. E.g. more than 10
ways are selected or using it on ways that already have less than 10 nodes.

bye
	Nop