[Talk-de] Status update on the OpenStreetMap -> Wikimedia project

Tirkon tirkon33 at yahoo.de
So Jul 12 10:58:37 UTC 2009

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:

>Things like
>authoring tools will be easier later once we have that and there'll be
>more motivation (and hopefully more people working on it) once the
>basic stuff is exposed to end users.

I think, that the feature of embedded maps is the most important one
for OSM in Wikipedia. The best advertising for OSM there would be, if
the box-templates of articles like towns, villages, rivers, streets
etc. will have got the OSM-bullet-point, together with a
dummy-explanation how to use it. Possibly the coordinates, which are
available in every box (in the german Wikipedia), could be used to
show the embedded map automaticly in a standard-zoom, which can be
fine-tuned with the help of a permalink by the editors of the article.
Thus the OSM-map will show up in many geographic articles and the
project would be rubbed under the nose of many Wikipedia users.

The bad state of the map outside of metropolisis - in particular rural
areas - will be thorn in the flesh of the committed and dedicated
article-editors and thus help to win mappers and herewith coders
there.