[Talk-GB] Node v's Linear

Bruce Cowan bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Apr 23 16:08:31 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 13:40 +0100, Shaun McDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've finally figured out why the osmarenderer doesn't render aqueducts.
> Looking at
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Waterway>
> the aqueduct is a node. Can someone please explain why?

This is an old fashioned use, it includes highway=bridge or aqueduct as
a node feature.  This is wrong for 2 reasons:
It isn't a node feature
The highway tag shouldn't be used for these.

I would recommend waterway=canal, layer=1, aqueduct=true for this use,
although the bridge casing isn't rendered for canals. (yet)

> Mainline railway stations such as the Edinburgh Waverley are very
> large, so should be an area, with  nodes for the platforms if
> possible. This would help to show the location of the whole station,
> with all access points able to be added.

This is a problem with Perth's station too, there are 2 lines which
separate in the station, the node which represents the station in only
on one of the lines.

Somebody has added an area around the station tagged with
railway=station, but this doesn't render (should be a pink area).

http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=7636623.44582&lon=-382643.68066&zoom=15&layers=B000
--
Bruce Cowan <bruce.cowan at dsl.pipex.com>