[Talk-GB] Is slightly hacky data better than no data?

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 10:13:01 BST 2007

>I'm hopefully that we'll be able to make a big dent in areas of rural
>Britain using a similar method.

Absolutely, I've used NPE to do quite a few rural roads, not to mention
woods and lakes.
When walking I try to avoid roads if possible and focus on footpaths, so
it's a good way of getting an area complete.

Another interesting thing about NPE actually... it's surprisingly good for
finding out where footpaths are. Normally (not always) the dashed black
lines on NPE maps correspond to rights of way, evne though they do not
indicate rights of way. For instance on Sunday I successfully used NPE,
and only NPE, to locate most footpaths in a rural area a few miles away.
There were some extra footpaths too not on the NPE map (and I had to let
them go due to the fact they couldn't be integrated into my route very
well) but certainly probably more than 50% are shown.

Nick