[Talk-GB] Matching OS Locator with OSM data

Tim François sk1ppy14 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 22:21:19 BST 2010

All,

I've been thinking about the script I wrote to compare the OS Locator data with the OSM data, and have improved it slightly so that now it picks up those names of roads which are different but have similar spellings. These are then marked within the resultant gpx file if they match by over 90%. This uses the php similar_text function.

This means spelling mistakes or missing apostrophes can be more easily identified.

The script: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tiiiim#Enhanced_OS_Locator_Comparator_Script
Results: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bath/OSLocator_Comparison#Latest_Road_Name_Discrepancies

One problem with the script is that there could be two roads in the same area with the same name but in different locations. Only one of the names would have to be in the OSM data for the script to throw a positive result for both roads, which means the second unnamed road in OSM goes undetected.

Anyway, let me know if you find this useful, or if someone has a more advanced script and I'm just wasting time here!

Tim