[Talk-GB] Fwd: Map layer with OS Locator comparison from ITO -apostrophes

Kevin Peat kevin at kevinpeat.com
Fri Nov 5 16:10:02 GMT 2010

On 5 November 2010 12:38, <kevin at cordina.org.uk> wrote:

> Aren't there two separate issues here:-
>
> 1) Disagreements between OS and OSM,
>
> 2) Representation of those disagreements in the tools.

I'm quite happy with the ITO tools as they are but if they had the resources
to render another map layer without the apostrophe differences then great
but I don't think they should change the current layer.

My main problem is how to define what is authoritive as far as names go. As
with most mappers I default to the road signs but as pointed out previously
they are put up by council staff not known for their infallability. Where I
am the council mapping can be accessed via their website but all the data is
OS based so doesn't add anything to the sources we already have. I have also
noticed name differences between the OS Streetview and Locator products. All
part of the fun.

Kevin