[Talk-GB] Maxspeed tagging for the UK

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sat Apr 9 09:42:29 BST 2011

On 9 April 2011 08:49, Steve Doerr <doerr.stephen at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 09/04/2011 08:15, Peter Miller wrote:
>
> maxspeed:type=GB:dual_carriageway (or GB:motorway, GB:rural, GB:urban)
>

> I don't like the urban/rural dichotomy for the UK as it doesn't correspond
> to anything in the legislation here - unless you believe that
> street-lighting is a specifically urban phenomenon.
>
> In UK law, the implicit 30 mph speed limit is associated with a 'restricted
> road', which is any road having 'a system of street lighting furnished by
> means of lamps placed not more than 200 yards apart' (except, presumably,
> one where an explicit speed limit or the 'national' speed limit applies).So maybe GB:restricted_road would be better?

I assume  you didn't mean to shout in the above comment ;) (part of it is in
large characters on my computer)

For sure, let's finesse the actual text to relate to UK legislation.
GB:restricted_road is clearly a better definition that GB:urban. Here is the
definition - it mentions England, Wales and Scotland but not Northern
Ireland, so GB is correct
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1984/27/section/82

Can we find the relevant legal definitions of a motorway and a dual
carriageway for GB or for UK?

Regards,

Peter