[Talk-GB] OSM Contributor Terms vs OS OpenData Licence

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Mon Apr 18 15:33:48 BST 2011

Robert,

On 18 April 2011 14:12, Robert Whittaker wrote:

> I appreciate that licence discussion really belongs on legal-talk, but
> I thought I should post this here about this UK-specific issue -- in
> order to prevent people signing up to the new CTs without realizing
> the potential incompatibility with OS OpenData-derived content.

This debate has been trawled over a number of times on this list already.
Are you hoping to catch newer subscribers who haven't yet experienced the
joy of this debate yet?

It is regrettable that OSMF is placing the burden of working out
> whether contributed data is compatible with the CTs and licences on
> individual volunteer mappers.

As you later state, they aren't. They are seeking legal advice to help
contributors. Perhaps they should specifically warn UK users on the web site
form that seeks agreement with the CTs until this advice comes in? That
might be something to constructively lobby for.

I agree that the way the OSMF have gone about this process is regrettable in
a number of respects, but I don't see how stirring this up again helps
anyone.

Regards,
Tom