[Talk-GB] National Byway rendering on OpenCycleMap

monxton gmane at jordan-maynard.org
Tue Apr 19 15:24:23 BST 2011

Lately I've been doing some tagging of the South-West region of the
National Byway, and I'm finding it quite disappointing that it is not
rendered on the cycle map.

I've rummaged around in the history of this issue and located what I
think are the most relevant thread starters:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2010-May/009449.html
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/2007-September/005861.html

also Richard's summary on the forum:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=4141

These, and other threads I haven't listed, tend to end with Andy saying
that he will render the National Byway tags in their own colour some
time in the future.

Is there any likelihood that that time is nigh? I know this sounds like
a nag, so if there anything that can be done (style files?) to help get
to that point, I'm happy to volunteer.

(I know not everyone here cares for the National Byway. For me, it hits
the spot for route planning much better than the Sustrans routes, which
tend to be just too slow for long journeys.)

-- digression --
FWIW, I don't really agree with the view that the regional cycle route
tags should be exclusively reserved in the UK for Sustrans regional
routes. The National Byway regions fit pretty well as regional routes.

There exist other regional routes which are not Sustrans routes; for
example the Wiltshire Cycleway is a signed route which is too extensive
to be categorised as an LCN. So if I start tagging it as an RCN, will
that be allowed to stand? I can't see it would be sustainable to have
distinct tagging / cycle map rendering for every RCN as is required for
the National Byway regions.

And I understand that Sustrans is doing away with its regional route
numbering anyway, so will the RCN tags eventually fall out of use in the UK?
-- end digression --