[Talk-GB] pay_scale_area

SK%3 SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:51:32 GMT 2011

The pay-scale areas are in principle useful, but their quality varies
significantly. Mostly they correspond to the area used with the PlusBus
scheme (add on day bus tickets which can be bought with a train ticket),
but the ones I'm familiar with correspond to general day ticket zones.

The Nottingham one is particularly woeful (and probably out-of-date) as
it seems to just consist of a polygon connecting locations on major
roads approximating to the fare stage position, and thus loses lots of
detail about where its possible to get to using a day ticket, see
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-transit/2009-August/000461.html.
In practice the only way to obtain accurate information about the extent
of the zones in Nottingham is to ask bus drivers about how far a given
ticket is valid. When bus passes just had local validity asking any
pensioner would have been as effective. In other words this information
is needed and is currently poorly communicated: see if you can obtain a
leaflet showing the edge of the fare zone with any degree of accuracy at
a local bus station, council office or library.

Visualising fare zones would be useful on public transport maps, but I'm
not aware of any detailed suggestions for doing so on OSM. I did have a
stab at a better outline for the Nottingham area in Kosmos, which I've
now put on Flickr <http://www.flickr.com/photos/sk53_osm/5409852539/>.
Also, someone did visualise them as a tool for identifying unmapped areas.

Cheers,

Jerry