[Talk-GB] Update to OSM Analysis

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Feb 3 14:37:34 GMT 2011

On 3 February 2011 14:30, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:

> On 03/02/11 14:27, Peter Miller wrote:
>
> > We have been logging the data every month since we released it 9 months
> > ago. Initial analysis says that there was a jump when we introduced it,
> > then progress slowed down, and that it has jumped again since we did our
> > recent release with thematic mapping. I suspect that this rate will
> > again slow.
>
> I wonder how much of that jump was people blindly copying names from the
> OS anywhere it showed a difference...
>
> That's exactly what happened round me. I had started work on surveying
> the differences to determine which was correct when another contributor
> came along and just blindly copied in the OS names thus making it
> impossible to tell what I still needed to go and check!

What is very unhelpful indeed is blinding overwriting names from survey
results with OS Locator text without checking. This fails to provide
feedback to the OS which is the decent thing to do if they are wrong and
also of course means we are wrong in that case into the bargain.

One benefit of using a Bot is that it will be diligent about filling in
source:name and source:geometry. I admit that in my recent edits I have put
the general comment 'name reconciliation with OS Locator' into the changeset
log, but haven't filled in source:name consistently because it makes a
tedious job even slower.

Regards,

Peter