[Talk-GB] Opendata and the CT's [WAS Adding a further 250, 000 UK roads quickly using a Bot?]

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Feb 3 16:57:04 GMT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Miller" <peter.miller at itoworld.com>
To: "Jerry Clough : SK53 on OSM" <SK53_osm at yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Adding a further 250,000 UK roads quickly using a
Bot?

> Thanks for your thoughts on this. I won't respond to individual points not
> because I don't think they are valid, but because I think it will be
> useful
> to hear from others and let the conversation develop. I am of course aware
> that there is ia lot of concern about the proposal in the comments so far.
>
> One point of clarification though - I did indeed consider that I and other
> could be  'locked out' of OSM due to my use of OS Open Data, however that
> is
> no longer the case given that the OS have adopted the Open Government
> License.

To further clarify your "clarification".

OS have not adopted the Open Government Licence.  To quote from the OpenData
website [1] "Ordnance Survey will be incorporating the new Open Government
Licence into our OS OpenData Licence."  Note the use of the word
"incorporating" rather than "adopting".

If you look at the terms of the OS open data licence [2] you will see
"incorporates the Open Government... which is varied by the following
terms".  The "following terms" are important as they place more further
restrictions upon the use of the data than the Open Government Licence has,
and may mean that use of OS OpenData is not compatible with the proposed
CT's.

The OSM wiki page for imports [3] shows that a legal review of the
computability of OS OpenData with the CT's is due soon, and the minutes of
the LWG for 11 Jan 2011[4] also take note of the concerns.

Of course this is not to mean that you will be "locked out" of OSM, since
when the new CT's which are applicable to a user account and not a user are
brought into effect you will be able to create a new user account even if OS
OpenData is deemed not to be compatible with the CT's.

Regards

David

> Regards,
>

> Peter