[Talk-GB] B72 is a wrap

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Tue Feb 15 13:36:17 GMT 2011

On 15 Feb 2011, at 11:56, Tom Chance wrote:

> On 14 February 2011 21:15, Laurence Penney <lorp at lorp.org> wrote:
> One rambling question for now... As one maps an area in such detail, what kind of principle do you operate when you encounter useful information that can't yet usefully[1] go into OSM for now. The blurry lines between pub, bar, cafe, restaurant and fast food are well-known examples, that I am often tempted to represent using the semicolon. Buildings with multiple uses, such as art centres with galleries, cinemas and cafe-bars, are another common complexity for which multiple nodes feels like a hack that will cause too much information, or at least too much text, on most renderers. And you mention the issue of multiple floors - Bristol's new Cabot Circus shopping centre is a scary mapping prospect on that score alone. Maybe in other words I'm asking: how often and with what methodology do you use the 'note' key?
>
> I've had the same problem.
>
> As a rule of thumb for the bar/cafe/restaurant scenario I just go with the main use. Most restaurants have bars, most cafes serve some sort of food, we have to decide at some point which kind of amenity it is.

"We have to"... Why? If there are things that are undoubtedly cafe-bars in the world, with its main use depending whether you're a pensioner or a hipster (Bristol has at least 10 such on Gloucester Road alone), why on earth can they not be mapped? Even if Mapnik doesn't like semicolons, it might still accept the string "cafe;bar" (and "bar;cafe"), or "cafe-bar". In France there are tens of thousands of cafe-bar-tabacs - currently they're mapped with a random value from that lot, which is crazy.

What I hate most of all is the loss of information that occurs at the "have to decide at some point" stage. The note field could save some of this usefully, even if unstructured in form.

Sorry for the rant!

- L