[Talk-GB] CFV 2013

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 15:21:09 GMT 2012

Hi everyone

We've been busy here in the West Mids during November and worked with
Birmingham Convention Bureau ( a local authority-sponsored service who do
lots of leg work and admin for free) in searching, surveying and choosing a
venue. We have a great venue at Aston Uni Business School at a competitive
price with lots of on- campus accommodation from hotel standard to student
standard. It's currently on hold for us for 6-8 September 2013. Aston Uni
is a very compact campus and is  centrally-located for transport links and
for access to nightlife.

Our bid document is 90% complete ( it's more thorough than the one on the
wiki <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Birmingham_Bid_Page> ). What we
need urgently to complete the bid is a list of people committed to organise
the work for the conference between bid award and the conference itself.
 For the bid document we need your name/OSM name and a brief 2-3 sentence
biography like the one already added by nickw, lastgrape/gregory, sms1,
spiffy/Jonathan on the UK wiki bids
page<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map_2013/Bids/UK>.
 Are those individuals willing to be listed on the Birmingham bid?
 Anyone else - can you add your details to the wiki or email me. Also can
the mappa-mercia West Midlands mappers  who bravely volunteered send me
 their details.

First public  iteration of our  bid document will  be published shortly
into the New Year.

Thinking ahead : a first pass of organisation tasks follows - you might
like to indicate what you feel comfortable tackling ( or what's been left
out).

Sponsor package programme and promotion (maybe split into
global/national/local)
Sponsor Exhibits
Contracts/Insurance
Conference Registration
Accommodation
Marketing/promotion - externally and to OSM community
Conference paraphernalia(badges, banners,signage, delegate pack etc)
Delegate Experience (trips, entertainment)
Website
Call for Papers and Conference Agenda
Co-ordination of presentation material - pre- and post-conference
AV - most of what we need is  included with the venue except for live
streaming media
Treasurer
Press Officer
Venue support (being on hand during the conference for delegate assistance)
(Visa administration - do UK visas need documentary evidence of a UK
sponsor?)

Whilst these are a heads-up list of tasks they need grouping at a later
date  into an organisation for ease of co-ordination. There's probably a
natural order in there somewhere but at the moment I'm concentrating on bid
preparation - any help appreciated

Regards

Brian