[Talk-GB] Remapping update

Craig Loftus craigloftus+osm at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 24 16:10:16 GMT 2012

> *and where those contributions have since been superceded or "washed
> out" by subsequent changes*"

I think people understand this is important, but the wording is so
vague and examples of appropriate usage given on the list vary wildly.
The example you gave still allows for IP to be present in the history
of the node... *shrug*

To try and clear things up, for myself at least, can I get comment on
some contrived examples of practice I have used and I've seen used by
others? All non-odbl nodes in the examples below are deleted or no
longer existed. Most ways I've come across no longer have any
positional IP from the original creator. When commenting, please do
explain why they differ from accepted practice.

== A ==
Way V1:

railway=rail

Way Vn:

railway=rail
electrified = contact_line
frequency = 50
gauge = 1435
passenger = yes
source:electrified = observation
tracks = 4
usage = main
voltage = 25000
+
odbl=clean - presence of railway checked against recent Bing and OS

== B ==
V1:

highway=residential
name=Garden Street

Vn:

highway=residental
name=Garden Street
maxspeed=20 mph
-
name=Garden Street
+
name=Garden Street
source:name=OS_OpenData_StreetView
odbl=clean - 'notional' deletion of name attribute and re-naming with
StreetView or Locator sources

== C ==
V1:

highway=primary
ref=A38

Vn:

highway=trunk
ref=A27
name=Oxford By-pass
source:ref=OS_OpenData_StreetView
+
odbl=clean - IP exists in history but all attributes over-written

If someone rejects all those uses, then basically every odbl tag I've
added is incorrect and all those I've happened upon as well. My next
request will be for an admin to revert about 100 changesets *weeps*

This will be all the more annoying because I thought I was being
careful; I read the documentation, read examples from multiple
posters, looked at the history of every way I touched, and actually
spent quite a bit of time re-mapping many ways I came across.

Cheers,
Craig