[Talk-GB] Updated GB cycle lanes map

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Wed Oct 3 14:25:41 BST 2012

On 3 October 2012 13:36, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 2 October 2012 13:46, Richard Mann <richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> If it's that good, perhaps it would be signposted enough to be an LCN? I
>> suspect it's too indirect to actually see much commuter/utility use.
>>
> Because LCN is a Sustrans numbering system. A cycle path with no number
> can be created by the council or community group. I imagine there are
> politics & funding involved.

In London the local cycle network (LCN) is created by Transport for London
and London boroughs, sometimes with the involvement of Sustrans and local
cycle campaign groups but not always. By happy coincidence it's called the
London Cycle Network, with a second phase called LCN+ that was
half-finished before Boris ended the funding. Only the NCN is led by
Sustrans.

The tagging for these local routes tends to follow the signposted, numbered
routes with relations. But there are also lots of stretches of road with
"lcn=yes" on the ways where there are un-numbered cycle signposts and even
cycle symbols painted onto the road. A lot of this is in the DfT data as
well. Given that relations can keep track of "proper" routes, I don't see a
problem with lumping all the other bits of road marked for cyclists as
something like lcn=yes.

Regards,
Tom