[Talk-GB] Mass edits of landuse /natural tags

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Apr 25 07:20:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 04/24/2013 04:26 PM, John Baker wrote:
> AFAIC these were typo edits and getting the whole database more
> consistent. I have done dozens of changes to fix typos worldwide over
> the past few weeks and it would be crazy to have lengthy discussions on
> each one for multiple countries in multiple communication channels.

If you don't have the time or the will to do it properly, then simply
leave it be.

The rule is that as soon as you make an edit where you don't look at the
individual object you edit, it is a mechanical edit that has to be
discussed beforehand.

The reason for this rule is that it is too easy to introduce mistakes -
what looks like a "typo" to one person could make sense to another.

Assume that there's an object tagged landuse=forest *and* natural=meadow
*and* it carries a note tag that explains exactly what the mapper meant
by this. Someone simply looking for all natural=meadow and replacing
them with landuse=meadow would overwrite the landuse=forest and not even
see the note tag - he performs a mechanical edit that needs to be
discussed beforehand (in order to minimize undesirable side effects).

On the other hand, if someone were to manually go through all objects
tagged natural=meadow, read potential note tags, look at the other tags
and/or aerial imagery, and *then* change them to landuse=meadow, that
would not be a mechanical edit.

Bye
Frederik