[Talk-GB] Refs on Tertiary & Unclassifed Roads in Highland

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Mar 17 11:29:32 UTC 2013

There are plenty of things in OSM which are not verifiable on the
ground. That in itself is not a reason to disqualify it from OSM or
relegate it to "second class information". It's more about the fact that
there is a verifiable source of authoritative information (appropriately
licensed of course) so the information is objectively correct.

In the
south east of England there are also loads of tertiary/unclassified
roads tagged in this way, based on authoritative information from the
highways authority (county council etc). Really it's a rendering issue
IMHO as to whether to suppress these labels in the UK (other countries
may use them differently).

Colin

On 2013-03-17 10:54, sk53.osm
wrote:

> I've noticed that many minor roads in the Highland Region of
Scotland have been tagged with ref=[CU]#### based on a PDF document from
the regions transport department. I've altered a few of these where I've
encountered them to official:ref=* as I don't believe that these are
verifiable on the ground in any way.

> I'd be interested in what
others think (these council based refs do appear elsewhere in the
country: I can't recall ever seeing one on a road sign).

> Jerry

Links:
------