[Talk-GB] Windermere and Rydal Water - missing

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sun Mar 24 18:25:51 UTC 2013

On 24/03/2013 12:46, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> To reply to your points:
>
> 1. Firstly I don't think I have ever responded in a "rant" style
> fashion on the OSM mailing lists before, but could you please qualify
> your insulting first comment? Are you simply a troll, are are you
> simply so pathetic and small-minded not to realise that a) Freemap is
> a hobbyist project and is thus inevitably subject to limitations in
> server power and b) any time I spend on it is my own spare time, I am
> unable to work on it 24/7? If you think it could be improved I suggest
> you check out the source code at https://github.com/nickw1/Freemap and
> contribute, rather than pathetically insulting and denigrating a lot
> of hard work? I do You are the first person I have ever launched a
> "rant" at in eight years of contributing to OSM - well done ;-) Come
> back when you have some positive suggestions as to how I can improve
> Freemap without needing to invest more money in it, or when you have
> some source code to contribute, otherwise....
>
> 2. I always thought lakes were simply represented as natural=water.
> Anything special about these two which suggests they shouldn't?  True,
> they have islands in them but so does Derwentwater.
>
> Nick

Nick

I didn't realise you were the creator of FM, but that wouldn't change my
opinion of your work. Was it you who informed me that, for some reason
it intentionally doesn't display Bristol & surrounds? How is a map that
leaves out chunks of data meant to be taken seriously? How long has FM
been going? 3/4 years? in my experience of (trying) to use it I would
say it's actually got more unusable over that time. I've always thought
the "why don't you help then" counter argument as weak. You put it out
there, you have to take the criticisms.

It has however, revised my opinion of you:
It's disappointing you don't understand the internet meaning of a troll.
In point two I was clearly giving you help, which, from your reply, you
appear not to have taken.

I replied to you thinking you were a user of FM & wanted to point out
that it was not a stable platform to test the integrity of OSM. However
as the creator of FM you must be aware of it's limitations, so to use it
as a basis to see if something is missing in OSM is foolish, & to then
assume it's the OSM data that's incorrect, is IMO, arrogant.

"I haven't done a lot of work with multipolygons so I'll let someone
with more experience sort it out."
Brilliant. As that's the case, doesn't it stand to reason you should:
a) Learn about the subject?
B) Check your own software first?

Dave F,