[Talk-GB] UK postcodes on each side of the road

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:22:49 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In my area the council does a handy thing: they mark postcodes on the
lampposts. So I've been noting them down for mapping. However, it's a
curse as well as a blessing...

Of course lampposts are not identical with segments-of-streets, nor
with building-addresses, so it's rarely clear where to draw the
boundaries. But my main problem is that they often indicate different
postcodes on each side of the road. Firstly, is that normal? And
secondly, how to tag? I was hoping to attach postcodes to streets (or
parts of streets). One thing I could do is just put postcodes on the
home addresses I add (rather than on the streets), and only in the
cases where it's clear from the lampposts.

Thanks
Dan