[Talk-GB] elsan_points

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 23 20:24:19 UTC 2015

On 23/04/15 17:53, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Some 15 odd uses of the term *elsan_point* are present: and none outside
> of the UK.

"chemical toilet waste disposal unit" is the more normal UK usage, along
with grey and black waste water disposal, be that marine or land. Dump
stations would seem to be American, although the Ozies seem to switch
between the two. Dump station DOES seem to be specifically for hooking
up RV and other vehicle pump out hoses and NOT for the safe disposal of
chemical toilet waste. The two are rather different facilities!

As I said ... if a point is still marked on the ground as an 'Elsan
Point' then I would expect to maintain that name, but I'm not happy with
the way a generic alternative is being developed. I don't have time to
monitor the 'tagging' list ... I'll just carry on following local
practice and sanitary_dump_station does not fit the bill, but I'm not
sure just what is a suitable alternative to correctly tag the facilities
I've got survey notes on for our local caravan sites ... what would have
been legal as an elsan_point in the past would probably be shut down by
the local council today anyway!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL