[Talk-GB] Labelling a greasy spoon caff

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Apr 24 19:20:33 UTC 2015

On 4/24/2015 10:28 AM, Dan S wrote:
> Any thoughts about tagging a greasy spoon cafe (a caff)? It's a
> particular British type of food that we need to be able to locate
> accurately;)
>
> In taginfo I see
>    cuisine=breakfast (282)
>    cuisine=british (73)
> but both seem too vague to me. There are a handful of
>    cuisine=greasy_spoon (4)
> so I'll go with that unless there's anything better I've missed.
>
> Also I've just learnt that the term "greasy spoon" is of US origin!
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greasy_spoon
We have them in Canada too. I used amenity=restaurant cuisine=breakfast
for the one I go to (http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/80671829), and see
I used amenity=cafe cuisine=breakfast for the nearby one I go to less
frequently (http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1710998280). I'm not sure
which I'd consider more appropriate. I wouldn't consider cuisine=british
right. I don't like cuisine=greasy_spoon because it only has four uses.