[Talk-GB] National Park extensions

jc129 at mail.com jc129 at mail.com
Wed Aug 17 15:42:42 UTC 2016

I know there has been some caution against using Natural England data directly in OSM, so I wasn't surprised that the boundaries weren't immediately updated when the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks were expanded from 1st August. [1]

However since coming back from holiday, I see the OSM boundary relations have now been modified [2] but using the low-res PDFs from the gov.uk website.

As a result much of what has been added is inaccurate, not least because many nodes are shared with highways etc. despite the written descriptions clearly stating "...it follows the edge..." (Yorkshire Dales was mostly clean of shared nodes but Lake District did have shared nodes/ways before, hence A6 road got broken - partially fixed by another mapper)

I think the changesets need to be reverted (can anyone on this list do this?) but where do we go from here in terms of new Nat Park boundaries? Is there a source other than Natural England?

Jez C

[1] https://www.gov.uk/government/news/national-parks-to-extend-by-size-of-isle-of-wight
[2] https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/spiregrain/history
e.g. way 398069815