[Talk-GB] National Park extensions

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 16:38:29 UTC 2016

On 17 August 2016 at 16:42, jc129 at mail.com <jc129 at mail.com> wrote:
> I know there has been some caution against using Natural England data directly in OSM, so I wasn't surprised that the boundaries weren't immediately updated when the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales National Parks were expanded from 1st August. [1]

I presume the caution that this was because of Licensing issues.
Natural England are/were using a custom version of the OGL for which
compatibility with the ODbL used by OSM wasn't guaranteed. They should
have switched to using the OGL 3 now, but not everything has been
updated last time I looked.

If you follow the link from
https://data.gov.uk/dataset/national-parks-england and register, I
think you can get a download of the National Park boundaries in either
Mapinfo or Shapefile format. The website claims they've been updated
for the August changes (I haven't checked.) Despite some contradictory
messages along the way, the only thing that could be interpreted as a
licence that's included with the download says it's OGL3 -- which
would mean it's ok to use in OSM, provided the appropriate attribution
statement is added to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors
.

Robert Whittaker