[Talk-GB] Mapping dangerous - but valid - routes

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 5 16:31:36 UTC 2016

It needs to remain. As it's clearly signed as a shared use path it's has
authoritative standing.

'Dangerous' is purely subjective. Many people do 'dangerous' things such
as drive too fast, take drugs or jump out of aeroplanes. OSM is not the
place to quantify. Adding a 'falling rocks' sign to OSM is fine. Telling
someone they can't go there because of those rocks is wrong. Your user
has decided, based on experience, that he doesn't want to use it, which
is fine, but he shouldn't dictate that others can't.

What would benefit OSM is if the path was detailed more accurately.

Are you Traveline?

Cheers
Dave F.

On 05/12/2016 16:12, Stuart Reynolds wrote:
> Greetings
>
> At Stirling Corner, on the A1 in Barnet, there is a cycle way (hence
> also available for pedestrians) that goes around the outside of the
> roundabout (http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/78315291). A cursory
> glance at satellite mapping shows it to be well defined, and marked.
> But it will also highlight that where you cross the southbound A1 to
> the south of the roundabout (and likewise the northbound A1 to the
> north) it is highly dangerous. You have to cross three lanes of
> traffic, and there is always a flow of some sort, either from the A1
> or from the side roads.
>
> What is the right course of action here - leave it in, because it
> reflects what is on the ground, or take it out on safety grounds. This
> isn’t an idle question - a user of my website has stated that it is
> dangerous to use, and has asked me to remove it. My conclusion was to
> leave it in, but as it cuts to what it is that is being produced here
> - an accurate cartographic representation of the world, regardless, or
> something a little different - I thought I would ask for views.
>
> Regards,
> Stuart

---