[Talk-GB] 2016 first quarterly project:Schools

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:31:41 UTC 2016

Generally I will place the name tag on the school grounds and not on the
buildings. This allows individual buildings to be given names, if they have
them: e.g., Science Block, Nursery.

A couple of complications:

   - Campus sites: several schools share facilities, particularly playing
   fields. The most complex one I know of is in Northwich
   <http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2470/-2.5336>. The shared
   playing fields are mapped as leisure=recreation_ground with the individual
   schools now being mapped as polygons, but sometimes it is difficult without
   good local knowledge to separate out distinct institutions.
   - School Recreation Ground also available out of school hour, either as
   a local rec., or in association with a sports centre co-located with the
   school. In this case I think it can be left to the mapper's discretion as
   to whether the school polygon includes the playing field or not.

Jerry