[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project : Schools - Wales data

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:56:15 UTC 2016

On 18 January 2016 at 16:41, Bogus Zaba <bogsub at bogzab.plus.com> wrote:
> I was however a bit surprised to see that the progress tool referenced
> here : http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/
> includes Welsh postcodes but uses Edubase rather than estyn as the data
> source. As far as I can make out,  estyn is the more comprehensive data
> source for Wales, Edubase is by no means complete.

I set up http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/ . I was aware
of the Estyn source, but was hoping that Edubase already had all the
Welsh schools covered, as the Edubase data was easier to import
automatically. You seem to be suggesting that this isn't the case. It
looks like the Estyn numbers are actually a three-digit LA code
followed by a four-digit school code, which correspond to the
"LA/Establishment Number" stored in Edubase. I did a quick check with
the Isle of Anglesey schools, and it seems both Estyn and Edubase have
the same number -- 56. If you area aware of significant numbers of
schools missing from Edubase, then please let me know, and I'll see
how easy it would be to import the Estyn data too. In the mean time,
I'm afraid the Estyn codes won't be picked up by my tool.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker