[Talk-GB] Next UK chapter concall

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Tue Jan 26 09:12:33 UTC 2016

Hi Dudley,

Why?

If an organisation wants to be a member, why shouldn’t it have a say in how OSM UK is run, including being nominated for and electing members to committees. I’m quite comfortable with requiring an individual to be nominated, which we can consider not allowing to be delegated, and if you wanted to protect the rights of non-org members then you could have two groups and allocate 51% of the votes to the individuals and 49% of the votes to the orgs. It’s slightly more complicated than votes only to individuals, but you don’t disenfranchise anyone then.

At the end of the day, we want to promote editing. We want to encourage orgs to contribute their data. And we want to encourage orgs to use OSM in their systems and products. That is much less likely to happen if you remove voting rights from orgs.

Incidentally, you can also have a problem of definitions, too. I’m here because traveline south east & anglia uses OSM, and that’s the email address I use to post here. But I am a consultant to them, and I have a wider interest now beyond just traveline. So I’m an individual. But then again my consultancy is a company, with me as a director. Not unusual, there. So am I an organisation, or am I an individual? You could argue the former, but I’d be rather hacked off if you wilfully excluded me - I’d rather choose my level of participation myself between zero and full rather than have it decided for me!

Regards,
Stuart