[Talk-GB] Pubs as areas: should be map the property or the building?

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:51:49 UTC 2016

On 11/03/2016 17:26, SK53 wrote:
> A quick query on IRC and Andy (SomeoneElse) also maps pubs this way

True, but not with a zealous committment to it "absolutely being the
best way".  I'm open to persuasion.

Part of the reason might be that I'm probably more likely to sit in the
beer garden than most people (as evidenced by the mapping trip to
Consall Forge where my suggestion that we sit outside was met with
disbelieving "are you mad?" looks from all around).  Another is that
I've tended to map the entire site of other businesses - see for example
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/241928696 , which is a large site
surrounded by a fence - it's very clear what's part of the car
dealership and what is not.

To take a deliberately problematic example
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/374419244 - how would you map them if
you weren't going to map the whole area as the pub?  How would you say
that http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/374419080 and
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/374419082 belong to the pub? That's
"deliberately problematic" because clearly a section of road there isn't
owned by the pub.

Maybe if people have got better suggestions they could show how they'd
do it by editing at
http://api06.dev.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.87134/-3.24177 (on the dev
server, preferably after dragging the imagery to one side so that other
people can also have a go)?

Cheers,

Andy (SomeoneElse)