[Talk-GB] Summer quarterly project

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 11:47:45 UTC 2016

Quick reply about retail churn.

I've taken FHRS data from Sept or early Oct from 2013 to 2016 and quickly
done a year-on-year comparison to see which FHRS Ids are still on file from
the previous year. I've posted an image of the s/s here
<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsT7bwiXgAAiaTd.jpg>.

Briefly turnover looks to be smaller than I expected, in the range 11-14%
or around 60k premises out of 400k every year. I think I've read somewhere
in the past that 20% of shops per year is typical retail churn.

There are lots of caveats about such a headline comparison, so I hope to
look at the data in more detail and then blog about it. Obvious ones are:
changes in LAs contributing data, changes in how LAs collect data, places
which have closed down but never been removed from database (around 5-7% of
premises in Nottingham in 2013), and so on. Also changes of ownership
should result in new FHRS Ids, so this figure will overstate churn for some
businesses which have trading continuity (e.g., pubs which change
managers/tenants).

Jerry